Stepping Stones Headline Animator

Stepping Stones

Thursday 13 September 2007

Cognitive therapy is based on the concept that people have certain patterns of thoughts

Cognitive therapy is always conducted by a therapist, who has had special training in this method. The therapy can take place either in group sessions or individually (with the therapist). Sessions take about forty-five minutes to an hour on average.

Cognitive therapy is based on the concept that people have certain patterns of thoughts about things that they do or experiences in daily life. Together with the therapist, the thoughts related to the addiction are determined. These thoughts are often thoughts that maintain the addiction or discourage the person to cut the habit. Typical of these thoughts is that you believe that they are true, but can't prove it, and also that you are afraid that these thoughts are true or may become true. Examples of these thoughts are:

My addiction is stronger than me; I have no control over it.
People think I am a failure because I am addicted.
I will not find new friends when I cut the habit.
I am just a weak person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Recovery Solutions